Sunday, January 20, 2008

Discovering Embroidery Blogs





I've just discovered embroidery blogs and now spend happy hours in the studio on the internet checking through Sharon B's Take It Further Challenge blog/website . Although I'm too late to enter the challenge, I thought I'd do it anyway and post progress on this blog.

January challenge was the concept of admiration and a colour palette that included mauve and a sort of an olive-y green. I thought of Mom, Grandma and Monet but it was the colours that made me choose Monet. Here are pix of the work as it was completed. I can't believe how fast I did it - I just couldn't stop stitching and it grew itself - I hope the rest of the year will contain challenges that are like that... Now I just have to figure out how to add the pix...


So the picture above shows my stash of Colinette wools and various threads, and the book The Colour Of Time Claude Monet by Virginia Spate, published 1992 by BCA by arrangement with Thames & Hudson Ltd.


This pic shows the technique I used: I decided to wrap some of those tubular embroidery frames with the variegated cotton/rayon "Giotto" thread (by Colinette), then buttonhole over the cords in a take on needlelace's Corded Brussels stitch, changing threads from time to time. I was that taken with the colours and the technique that I didn't really take the time to figure out how to turn at the end of a row until I was about half way through....


I admit defeat for now - pix are showing up all together at the top, and not in the order that I'm writing about them, and I have to start preparing dins now, so I'll just Save Now and Publish Post and figure it out later...

No comments: