Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A bit of winter



Here is a pic from my book of Great Works of Japanese Graphic Art by Douglas Mannering, of the famous Beneath the Wave off Kanagawa, by the artist Hokausai (1760-1849). I started a waveform many years ago when I was first doing needlelace but hadn't figured out how to finish it until I was working with this white boucle thread that I used in my January BJP piece, which is shown further below.

Here's a pic of the needlelace finished off with the white boucle thread that I used for the crest. It is crocheted then couched down as the boucles wouldn't pass through the fabric. I think I will do a bit more foam, under the crest of the wave as it looks wrong the way it is - too topheavy.

Here is a pic of my January Bead Journal Project piece, representing snow and ice and the hole I feel in my heart at the death of my dad, whose birthday is in January. He passed away late last year and I haven't felt like communicating or being creative since, explaining my absence from blogging for a while. I'm finally getting to the place where it's less painful now, and where I can "talk" to him in my thoughts, like I do with other dearly beloved who have passed.

Here is a pic of my February BJP piece, still with the "hole" at the heart, but in feeling a bit less chill. It makes me think of moonlight on water and a star in the background.

I haven't decided what I want to concentrate on this year as a theme, so I haven't done much designing. Instead, I've been looking through unfinished pieces and thinking about them, but I really want to pick a "big" subject and see how I can develop it. Meantime, I'll bead away through the months on the BJP and hope something presents itself, and try blogging more frequently, as well as visiting my favourite blogs.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your work is exceptionally lovely, so delicate and meaningful.

Crazy Mama said...

i looked at your pieces for a while, and they are both really beautiful. i am sorry for the loss of your dad. the january piece is so feminine and delicate. the blue curly lines for some reason made me think of open communication...lots of chit chat, but light, friendly and happy. so even though this piece was made with a sadness in your heart, i see a lot of beautfiul things in it. the february piece made me think of a shimmery sunset over the water. i love the colors. they are so warm. i'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the year brings for you. you do very beautiful work!

Dee D said...

Both pieces are so beautiful

Robin said...

This is exciting work!!! Such lovely combinations of beads and thread embroidery! I can feel the sadness, "the hole," in both of your BJP pieces... lonliness, more than anything else. Although in the February piece, the star is there. I love the idea of talking to your dad in your thoughts. It's been three years since my Dad died... I miss him terribly and yes, I do talk to him in my thoughts and sometimes in my dreams. I love your work!

Robin A.

Miri Agassi said...

Your work is beautiful as it is. I love your work. Miri A.

beadbabe49 said...

Lovely work...I especially love the colors you're using in each piece...

Magpie Sue said...

I LOVE the two pieces you've created for the BJP so far. Jan. really does look like a hole in snow and ice. And Feb. gives the feeling of lonliness, as Robin said, but it's warmer. Whatever your approach has been, keep it up!

Marty S said...

Your work is beautiful! Two wonderful BJP pages.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader